The spa and beauty categories are recovering faster than the rest of the health & fitness industry.
By the numbers:
- According to Mindbody, bookings for massage (+11%), chiropractic (+7%), and day spa (3%) were up vs. the same period in 2019.
- In 2021, American spas generated $18.1B in 2021 revenue on 173M visits, with per-visit revenue up 7%.
- According to GWI, mineral springs and spas will grow 18% and 17%, respectively, over the next three years.
Additionally, boutique recovery services like compression, massage guns, IV drips, and infrared sauna have gone mainstream, with over a third of Gen Z, millennials, and Gen X declaring these “hyper wellness” therapies essential.
Feel Good Inc. Consumers now value feeling good over looking good — and are willing to flex their budgets to preserve newfound wellness routines. As spas and beauty salons scale up services for self-care and de-stressing, booking platforms are reaping the benefits.
- This September, beauty and wellness studio booking platform GlossGenius secured $25M while spa service app Spa Space added $10.2M.
- In August, Boulevard, a booking platform for salons and self-care businesses, landed $70M in a Series C.
- Last December, salon and spa management platform Fresha raised $52M at a $640M valuation.
- In November 2021, beauty and wellness management platform Vagaro reached a $1B valuation on an undisclosed funding round.
Looking ahead: As better mental health becomes physical, massage, recovery, anti-aging, and self-care services will rise — meaning bookings will follow suit.